Say it isn't so! Please don't tell me it is time, once again, for that dreadful Martha White cornbread contest! I know, I said I would never enter (cause I never win) that cotton pickin' cornbread contest again, but...never say never. I do have a wonderful (healthy) recipe I have submitted and I'm gonna share it with you right now. And, the contest is still takin' entries up to February 28th. So, don't you dare steal my entry!!! I did get it in first...
How to make Di's Southern Beans & Cornbread Veggie Burgers:
1 pkg Martha White Cotton Country Cornbread Mix
1 med onion, roughly chopped
2 pods garlic, peeled
1 (15oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons or more vegetable oil, for frying
4 hamburger buns
4 slices cheddar cheese, sliced
Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mustard or mayo for toppings
1. Make cornbread according to instructions on package using water, cooking spray, and 8 in skillet.
2. Cook in 450° oven for about 15 minutes or until done. Remove from skillet, cool, and then crumble into small, coarse pieces. Set aside.
3. In a food processor pulse the onion, peeled garlic, drained and rinsed beans, and egg until finely ground.
4. Place bean mixture in a medium mixing bowl. Add Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, and crumbled cornbread, Reserve about 1 cup of cornbread crumbs for coating the veggie patties later.
5. Divide mixture into 4 patties and roll each patty in the reserved cornbread crumbs.
6. Heat oil in a large 10 inch Lodge skillet on medium-low heat. Fry the patties for about 5 minutes on each side or until thoroughly heated. After turning, place cheese slices on each patty to melt a bit.
7. Toast the bun, and place patties on buns using assorted toppings. Serve with potato salad and baked beans for a great Southern Beans & Cornbread Veggie Burger cookout!
Until next time, dear diary and may all your sweet cornbread dreams come true!