Pin It

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dear Cornbread Diaries...

On a recent trip to the Smokies, I stumbled upon a Lodge Cast Iron store in the Pigeon Forge, TN area. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. OK, forget the sports cars, diamonds, silver, and gold...just don't try to take away the cast iron family jewels collection I have long been accumulating over the years!

Here's a picture of one of the older ones...thanks, Nannie...I've been taking excellent care of it. Dates back to the Martin Stove & Range Company of Florence, Alabama. And believe it or not, there are folks all up and down the Net who dabble in Swapping & Meeting, and Showing & Telling all about their cast iron siblings. I just like to use mine.
And here's a picture of the newest addition...a round 8 inch cast iron serving skillet with a wooden place holder. I did splurge and buy four of these little jewels...excellent for serving individual portions of something sizzlin' at the table. I don't know if I will ever stop adding to the family.

And, I do agree with the Lodge people...there are three reasons why everyone should learn how to use an iron skillet and know how to make a really good cornbread:

  1. Cornbread is easy to make. Stir the batter up, pour into a skillet and bake.
  2. Cornbread is the best accompaniment to beans and greens for sopping up the "pot likker."
  3. Cornbread is an easy way to transform a simple meal into a rib sticking dinner.  
Till next time...Di

No comments:

Post a Comment