Pin It

Monday, April 1, 2013

Dear Cornbread Diaries...

Goodness gracious, I can't believe Easter has come and gone this year and believe it or not, Dear Diary, I did not serve a cornbread dish. So sorry to have to report that, and hopefully will not let it happen again on such a momentous holiday. Oh well, they say confessin' is good for the soul.

Anyway, I was reading a book the other day, and I do feel the need to offer a critique since it's all about cornbread. The book is titled Cornbread Gospels by Crescent Dragonwagon. Now, I don't know this sweetheart personally, but I do know she lives in Vermont after living in the Natural State for many years. But I really cannot, in good conscious, endorse this book as an authority on cornbread! Now, she does have some nice cornbread recipes from the South and a few from the North, but when she starts jabbering about tortillas, muffins, biscuits, soufflés and yeasted cornbreads I must raise a ruckus. These recipes are entirely different from my values of what a good cornbread cookbook should exhibit. I would feel a teeny bit better if she had named her book Corny Gospels instead of using the sacred name of cornbread to embellish her book with recipes that don't even fit the cornbread category.

Nice to get that outta my system...and it would be even nicer to have a real cornbread book with some really delicious cornbread enhanced recipes by a true Southerner that can do justice to a good ole skillet of Southern cornbread.

Maybe soon, Dear Diary... sweet cornbread dreams till next time...

Love, Di


No comments:

Post a Comment