Monday, August 25, 2014
Dear Cornbread Diary...
I am up to my sweet little pierced Southern ears in OKRA!!! So happy I love those little green pods. And we all know, down in the South, okra and cornbread is a match made in cornbread heaven. It's a sin to have one without the other.
Will be servin' up some Stewed Okra and Tomatoes tonight with my Arkansas Golden Silver Dollars. So sorry y'all can't be here to enjoy these green delicacies and golden rounds...but I do have the recipes for you just below.
How to make Stewed Okra and Tomatoes...
3 Tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups okra pods, frozen
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
2 tomatoes, fresh and diced
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
2. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add remainder of ingredients, turn down heat to a simmer, and stew for 20 minutes.
How to make Arkansas Golden Silver Dollars...
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk OR soured milk (to sour milk, add about 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk and stir until it is lumpy)
oil and skillet for frying
1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl, batter will be thick
2. Drop by tablespoonfuls into hot oil at medium heat on stovetop
3. Fry until puffy and golden brown, turning only once.
Scrumptious! Serve hot!
Until next time darlin' Diary, may all your cornbread dreams come true...Love, Di