Pin It

Friday, March 1, 2013

Dear Cornbread Diaries,


It is very chili these days in Arkansas however, we have not had but one night dip down into the twenties so far, so I really shouldn't be complainin' about our fickle Southern weather. And, if I keep my insides warm with some sort of hot meal, I know I will make it through these dreadful wintry days before jonquil season comes full bloom. And, I do love those gorgeous yellow daffodils!

Yellow means spring to me and it also makes me think of spring veggies and that superb corn chowder I made the other day with the corn I harvested and froze from last year. It was rather yummy and I especially liked it because the recipe has no dairy in it. You know sweet diary, I have been attemptin' to go vegan for quite a while. Anyway, on to a more successful endeavor, the chowder didn't really jump up to the spectacular level until I added the cornbread croutons! Fancy that! In fact, I really don't know how I ever enjoyed a plain old cup of soup, stew, or chowder before I topped it off with these tasty yellow nuggets. Cornbread croutons and corn chowder...golden ecstasy! Enjoy!

Corn Chowder Topped with Cornbread Croutons
2 ts nondairy butter    3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels   
 1 T oil for sautéing  1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
    1 yellow potato, peeled and cubed
4 cup vegetable stock   1 cup nondairy milk
   salt and pepper to taste
1 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped for garnish
3 T chopped basil for garnish
Cornbread Croutons (recipe follows chowder)

Heat butter in a sauté pan over med heat. Add the corn and cook for 15-20 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the potato and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the potato cubes are tender, about 20 minutes. Now add the corn to the pot of potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Ladle about 1 cup of the soup into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add back to the pot and add the milk. Heat just to warm and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the tomatoes, basil.

Cornbread Croutons
1 package yellow corn meal muffin mix
 (check for the one with water only if you go vegan)
3/4 cup water          4 T or more of nondairy butter, melted 

Heat oven to 450 °F. Grease with shortening or spray with no-stick cooking spray one 8 inch ovenproof skillet or 9 inch square pan. Place in oven for 7-8 minutes or until hot. Conbine cornbread mix and water in small mixing bowl; stir until smooth. Pour inbto hot skillet or pan. Bake at 450°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. When done cut the cornbread into small squares. Remove from skillet or square pan and place on a cookie sheet. Melt the 4 T of nondairy butter and pour over the croutons. Turn oven down to 375°F and let them get crisp and golden, about 10-12 minutes.

Until we chat again, sweet diary...hope all your sweet cornbread dreams come true...

Love, Di

No comments:

Post a Comment